Last updated: 28 September 2020
SOFIA UNIVERSITY ST. KLIMENT OHRIDSKI
COVID-19 PROTECTION MEASURES
Sofia University is committed to protecting the students, faculty, and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are implementing the following measures to minimise the risk of infection.
All lecturers, students and staff must follow the measures described below:
Keep a physical distance of at least 1.5 m.
All lecturers, students and staff are required to wear facemasks in the common indoor areas of the university buildings, dormitories and libraries. Masks are also obligatory during in-person classes in auditoria/classrooms for all the attendees but a lecturer or student who is currently speaking.
Until 31.12.2020, the access of external visitors to the educational buildings of Sofia University is prohibited. Communication with employees should be carried out by phone and/or e-mail. In case of urgent need, meetings can be held only by prior arrangement by phone or e-mail.
Access to the educational buildings of persons in quarantine period or with symptoms of acute infectious and respiratory diseases (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, etc.) is prohibited.
The use of student canteens, cafes and restaurants on the territory of the University is allowed in compliance with anti-epidemic measures.
When attending the classes, the following measures are observed:
- Masks are obligatory during in-person classes in auditoria/classrooms for all the attendees but a lecturer or student who is currently speaking.
- In order to ensure a distance of 1.5 m between the students in the classroom’s signs will be placed on every second seat indicating that sitting is allowed through one place;
- When entering the classrooms, students should take their seats from back to front. At the end of the class, the first to go out should be the ones closest to the door;
- The classrooms, laboratories and all rooms used by teachers and students should be ventilated during each break between classes.
Regardless of the way of conducting the classes, preparation of an online course should be implemented so that students under quarantine, with chronic diseases and at-risk groups have access to the course.
If necessary, Saturday and Sunday can be included as study days in the class schedule.
Within two weeks before the start of the exam session, the deans of the faculties prepare a schedule of exams with information on how to conduct each exam – in person or remotely.
Classes in the discipline “Physical Education and Sports” to be held as follows:
- In case of in person training, all anti-epidemic measures shall be observed;
- Sports for which it is possible (tennis, tourism, jogging) to be held outdoors, if the weather conditions allow, and practiced at beginning of the semester;
- Sports, which require the use of indoor facilities, to be conducted in compliance with the requirement for social distance between students and with the implementation of a plan for the gradual use of locker rooms;
- Students with chronic diseases and risk groups to be exempted from practical activities and to be offered online training by the Center for Kinesitherapy;
- Students who are restricted due to the epidemic situation (infected, quarantined, care for a family member, cannot travel, etc.) and cannot attend classes, are to be provided with access to online exercises for training at home and theoretical training;
- If the situation requires a transition to blended learning, practical classes should be conducted only with first-year students, and training should be conducted in groups with a reduced number of students according to the specifics of the sport.
Until 31.12.2020, access to the Central University Library and the branch libraries is granted only to lecturers, doctoral students, students and employees of Sofia University. The working hours with readers of the Central Library are from 8:00 to 20:00 h., and of the branch libraries – from 8:30 to 17:30 h.
All reading rooms should work with a capacity of 30% of all places, providing a distance of at least 1.5 m between the readers. Only readers with masks are allowed, and upon entering all readers must disinfect their hands. Readers are not allowed to gather in the reading areas and a distance of 1.5 m should be observed. If necessary, readers wait outside the libraries. It is forbidden to use desktops in reading rooms.
All members of the academic staff, administration staff and students, as well as foreign lecturers, researchers and students arriving from third countries outside the European Union, present a document showing a negative result of up to 72 hours prior to entry of polymerase chain reaction /PCR/ test for the detection of COVID-19. Persons who do not present such a document are obliged to undergo a 14-day quarantine period.
If you are staying at the dormitory of Sofia University, please be aware that you cannot be provided with relevant conditions for quarantine.
During the quarantine period, people are obliged not to leave their place of stay and to follow the instructions given by the public health authorities.
If no symptoms of COVID-19 appear until the expiry of the prescribed period, according to the current case definition, the quarantine is terminated.
In case of symptoms of acute respiratory diseases (fever, cough, runny nose, etc.) among lecturers and students:
- the person with symptoms is released from classes and immediately leaves the University building;
- persons with symptoms are obliged to contact their general practitioner or the relevant regional health inspectorate by telephone to receive instructions.
- persons confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 shall inform by telephone or e-mail the International Relations Office.
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 (asymptomatic individuals and individuals with clinical complaints) are subject to mandatory isolation and treatment for a period of 28 days from the date of the confirmatory laboratory test. During the period of compulsory isolation at home, the persons are obliged not to leave their place of stay.
Isolation at home is terminated after the expiration of the 28-day mandatory isolation and upon receipt of a negative result from a polymerase chain reaction test for the detection of COVID-19.
If the result of a polymerase chain reaction test for COVID-19 is positive, the isolation at home of the person is extended until a negative result is obtained from a polymerase chain reaction test for COVID-19.
We strongly recommend you nоt to leave Bulgaria during your mobility period, except for urgent cases.
We strongly recommend you to contact and to register at your Embassy/Consulate immediately upon arrival in Bulgaria.
If it is necessary to travel abroad before the end of the mobility, you must notify your Erasmus coordinator at the International Relations Office at Sofia University early enough.
If you are staying at the dormitory of Sofia University, please be aware that you cannot be provided with relevant conditions if a quarantine is required.
The International Relations Office is not responsible for any problems that may occur in case of closure of borders, lack of transport or other restrictions.
For more information on COVID-19
Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control: Questions & Answers
World Health Organization: Questions & Answers